Your Introduction to the Modern Gothic Hairstyle
The Gothic hairstyle… let’s be honest, folks—it’s simply bananas. Anyone who has ever created a Gothic look for themselves has to have considered it at one point! I mean, it’s right there for everyone to see: your brand new Gothic hairdo staring people in the face, putting the ultimate Gothic exclamation point on your statement.
There are a multitude of styles, lengths, colors and subcultures available for your picking and it’s really about how you want to express yourself and your own personal Goth style. Whether you’re a classic Vampire Goth, Cybergoth or even Steampunk, Google Images serves up hundreds of awesome Gothic hairstyle pegs, and its all at your fingertips.
You’re only limited by your dark imagination! So, check out this introduction to the modern Gothic hairstyle, as I give you some things to consider when putting together your brand new, killer Goth hairstyle.
Gothic Hairstyle Research
Like I said, there are OODLES of awesome Gothic hairstyle images available on Google Images. This is the best way to determine what kind of Goth look would be best for you. Just type out what you’re looking for and you can get great ideas and inspiration pegs like these:
Classic Vamp Goth
OK, you know the drill. This whole look plays on the whole “vampires are super attractive and will look young forever” vibe so let’s hope you’ve got some MAJOR natural good looks to pull this Gothic hairstyle off. Clean and pristine is the way to go! Think Anne Rice or Interview With A Vampire…
A futuristic Goth look for the new millennium! This one is for all you RPG fans out there… remember Shadowrun? Man oh man, that SNES game stole so many days from my youth. I would literally play it OVER and OVER, like it was going out of style. I started playing the actual character sheet RPG much later but I always imagined Cybergoth to fit that universe PERFECTLY. Think Bladerunner, Total Recall, or Ghost in the Shell and Akira.
The classic Steampunk look feels a bit classy to me. Growing up, I used to read this super-underrated illustrated book, Dinotopia! That is somehow the perfect peg in my mind. So, a Steampunk Gothic hairstyle may actually look a tad… Western? Turn of the century, perhaps? I think Steampunk actually covers the whole Nuclear Fallout vibe as well, so think Fallout, Book of Eli, The Road, Mad Max etc.
Slipknot or Marilyn Manson fans were the usual suspects back in my day but I’m dead sure that any other “Shock Rock” icons will have these types of Goths stinking up your local rock show no matter what decade you grew up in. This is where I started my own Goth journey, myself: feeling like shit all the time in high school, I made countless mp3 CDs of heavy metal collections (downloaded through frickin’ Napster, of course) and of course needed a killer Goth haircut to boot. Piercings were almost mandatory!
Well, aren’t you a handsome fellow!
I think it should be quite clear: you are literally limited only by your own imagination!
Unfortunately, A Bad ‘Do Can Keep A Good Goth Down
Now, I’m no hairdresser but I know a great Gothic hairstyle when I see it… and then I know a really HIDEOUS one when I see one too! WTF is this supposed to be?!
Here are more examples of completely FUGLY looking Gothic hairstyles. Jesus!!
Time for Some REAL TALK
OK, to be fair that last one looks like a costume gone wrong… at least, I hope it is!
My point is that the same rules apply in most of these situations, people. Pay attention to the details! Some looks are just not meant for everyone.
For example, if you’re going for a super tidy Interview with a Vampire look, like Tom Cruise or some shit, then maybe you’re pubic curly fro may just not be compatible. You’ll be straightening that thing for DAYS.
Furthermore, if you don’t got any of the good looks to back up the Classic Vamp Goth vibe, just get over it and choose something else.
See what I mean? You’re not seducing ANYONE, pal. The look just doesn’t work!
Pick something within reach and experiment within your means. Stay practical! If your desired look is going to take you several hours a day to achieve the look, it just might not be for you.
Cool Gothic Hairstyle Pegs
Like I mentioned earlier, Google Images serves all sorts of great looking pegs to start out with and I’ve gone through a few hundred examples and found some decent ones for you all.
Here are some of my own favorite Gothic hairstyle finds on Google Images for both Goth men and women:
Please excuse the fan service with the last two…
I think I could see myself in anyone of these numbers… They seem simple enough to pull off with my own hair type and they don’t look TOO difficult to maintain.
Now, here are some sexy Goth beauties I found with killer Gothic hairstyles… YOWZA! You gotta love Goth chicks… they deserve their own EPIC post, to be honest:
Love that last one!
Gothic Hairstyle Pointers
OK, I’m no hairdresser but I do consider myself as someone with great Gothic hairdo taste, and that my dark-hearted friends is close to PRICELESS! Here are some tips that I compiled on things to watch out for as far as your brand spanking new Gothic hairstyle is concerned:
- Any desired effect that will permanently damage your hair deserves a visit to your local salon. Let the professionals handle it, so you can worry about looking frickin’ awesome. It’s REAL easy to go overboard and fuck your shit up, especially with DIY products that you don’t know how to use.
- Other than bleaching and coloring your Goth locks, you can also damage your hair pretty easily over time with continuous curling, blow-drying, straightening, etc. Use protective hair products or balms to make sure you are giving your hair a chance to adjust to your new killer Gothic hairstyle!
- Color is important! A subtle wine red or deep violet will do wonders for the Classic Vamp look and bright EDM neon green, pink or blue will jump out against your black robes. For darker hair, color highlights also work really well, but try to keep things either subtle or super significant. There is little middle-ground with this stuff, so don’t half ass it! Anything in the middle of either subtle or over-the-top may seem unconvincing.
- Unless you’ve been blessed with a super kinky soul fro, most hairstyles are pretty much free game. Long hair can be straightened or curled, and short hair can be shaved and spiked. Bangs are almost ALWAYS applicable in the Gothic hairstyle universe, by the way.I do strongly suggest that you just save a copy of one of the pegs above, or anything that you’d like to get done to you, and have it put together professionally. It may be a bit pricey at a good salon but you wanna blow people’s minds with this hairdo, not make them chuckle. Make sure it gets done right, for Pete’s sake.
- Pigtails and ponies work great with the whole EDM Cybergoth look… and they’ll look great bouncing up and down whenever someone DROPS THE FATTT BASS… among other things.
- Accessorize, accessorize, accessorize!
- WARNING: If you’re still living with your folks, I can tell you from personal experience that a crazy ass Gothic hairdo will most probably piss them off. I’d tell you to try to ask for their permission but where’s the fun in that?! A wild Gothic hairstyle is probably the least damaging thing you can do to them to make a statement and blast your independence in their faces… just make sure to be prepared for your impending doom.
Considering how things have played out on the whole “my mother-in-law is a harpy” situation, I find myself daydreaming of finding the Goth inside me all over again! That’s actually what brought me to come up with this post in the first place. I think this Gothic Meme says it best. You’re never too old to creep out the neighbors!
Grab yourself a brand new Gothic hairstyle and live Gothic today!
Last update on 2021-07-25 at 11:21 Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product. CERTAIN CONTENT THAT APPEARS ON THIS SITE, COMES FROM AMAZON. THIS CONTENT IS PROVIDED ‘AS IS’ AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE OR REMOVAL AT ANY TIME.
MORE GOTHIC DECOR DELIGHTS:
Gothic Dining Table - See antique gothic dining room tables in our rustic gothic dining tables furniture collection.
Gothic Chandelier - Get hold of 19th century medieval gothic style ceiling chandeliers in our gothicchandelier hanging lights list.
Gothic Cabinet - Grab 19th century medieval craft styled gothicfurniture cabinetry in our gothic craft cabinet furniture collection.
Gothic Vanity - See victorian 19th century style gothic makeup mirror vanities in our gothic dressing vanity table selection for bedroom or bathroom.
Gothic Wall Decor - Find goth themed aesthetics and design styles for gothic wall decorating ideas in our gothic style wall decoration list.
Gothic Clock - See gothic century style wall clocks in our antique gothic clock and timepieces collection.
Gothic Window Frame - Get gothic style frame windows in our antique church styled gothic tracery frames collection.
Gothic Lamp - Get gothic lamps and gothic table lantern lights in our gothic lighting lamp collection.
Gothic Bookends - Get hold of medieval goth bookend sculptures for your evil bookshelf in our gothic horror bookends list. dragons, gargoles, castle book ends and more.
Gargoyles For Sale - Buy statuary gargoyles and griffins for sale in our gargoyle and griffin garden statue selection.
Gothic Bedroom - Enjoy black aesthetic bedrooms and victorian themed decor design ideas in our top gothic designs for bedroom list.
Gothic Bathroom Decor - Find dark gothic bathing ambience design ideas in our goth bathroom and shower decor selection.
Gothic Christmas Decorations - Enjoy a festive gothmas holiday with baubles, hanging accessories, gothic decor ornaments and more in our goth christmas decorations collection.
Gothic Kitchen - Enjoy goth kitchen design ideas in our gothic kitchens and kitchenware collection.
Gothic Door - See antique arched castle, church and cathedral door architecture in our gothic doors collection.
Gothic Bed - See romantic victorian gothic king beds in our gothic antique bed list.
Gothic Living Room - Enjoy victorian style home interiors in our goth living room decor collection.
Gothic Gates - See wrought iron garden gate fencing in our top gothic gates selection.
Gothic Mirror - Discover antique style arch mirrors in our gothic style mirror list.
Gothic Chair - Get antique revival chairs in our gothic chair furniture collection.
Gothic Tapestry - Pick up 19th century goth blanket wall art in our gothic wall tapestries list.